Monday, February 23, 2015

Jenny Langlo: "I am a sucker for dark lyrics"

Photo: Tonje Gulbæk Barstad
Are you ready for a new MGP interview? Here are the answers of JENNY LANGLO:
Name: Jenny Kristin Staurset Langlo
Birthday: 1st of June 1993
Height: About 171 cm I would guess.
Favorite color: Black
Favourite food: Everything with chocolate
Where are you right now? Right now I am actually at the train from Gøteborg to Oslo. I have been in the studio in Gøteborg today with the fabulous guys of Machopsycho who I also wrote ”Next to You” together with.
3 things that makes you happy: Love, understanding and passion.
What’s your strangest talent? I am very good at doing puzzles.
What is the strangest thing you have in your room? I dont have that much strange in my room since I have moved a lot the last couple of years and therefore only brought the most necessary. But I have a fake Oscar statuette that I won for my Avatar costume at a party, haha.
What are you really good at? I am really good at always coming at least 5 minutes late :)
What are you really bad at? Throwing stuff. I don’t know how to throw.
Childhood idol: When I was very young I obviously was a huge fan of the Spice Girls.
Childhood memory: Having a lot of dance shows in our livingroom with my familiy as the best audience ever.
What would you do if you were invisible? Sneak into every airplane and travel the world!
Favorite movie: I am a huge Harry Potter fan, so I will answer all of the HP movies.
Favorite TV series: I am actually not a big fan of series and almost never watch them. But if I do, The Big Bang Theory is one of my favourites.
Tell me a super power you wish you had: Ability to fly, definitely.
What is your guilty pleasure? I eat WAY to much chocolate.
Name a song that never fails to make you happy: If I really need energy and to cheer myself up, Bangarang by Skrillex never fails.
When did you start writing? I started writing some songs together with my best friend by the age of 7, but quit for some time and started again at about 11.
Can you teach me some interesting words in norwegian? Hmm, I can teach you the word ”sovepose” which means sleeping bag. And ”pute”, which means pillow. Now you know some words if you suddenly need to do a sleepover somewhere in Norway.
Hello Jenny, welcome to MGP! How are you?
Thank you so much. Right now I am really excited. 

How would you describe yourself as an artist?
I like to mix the dark and melodic with the more catchy and fun. I am a sucker for dark lyrics though. 

Tell me a bit about your career:
I startet writing songs first at age 7, and then again at age 12 when I started playing the guitar. I performed quite a lot in my teenage years, but didn’t consider doing music profesionally before I entered the Idol competition in 2011. I was really not prepared for winning, but so I did. After the competition I have released some singles, but mostly spent time studying music and finding my own way.
You are one of the participants of MGP 2015, how did it all begin?
I was contacted by the people working with MGP since Robin and Niklas in Machopsycho wanted me to do some vocals on a song written for MGP. Then in the studio with them we wrote a new song together. It turned out the jury of MGP 2015 liked the new song even better.
"Next to you" is the title of your song and its written by you, Robin Mortensen Lynch & Niklas Olovson. How was it working with them?
It was really great, they were kind of pushing me a bit as a songwriter, which is extremely fun. And they gave me the freedom to just explore and have fun in the studio. 

What's the story behind the song?
It is written about a certain feeling that I would describe as bittersweet. When you realise that you have lost control of your feelings when it comes to another person, but you know that the feelings are not mutual. And you do your best to pretend that you don’t care and everything is fine, but secretly you only want to be with a certain person. You put on your best clothes, go out and try to feel fabulous, but end up maybe drinking a bit too much, since the only thing you want to is to ”wake up next to you”, as the lyrics goes. 
Photo: Jakob Landvik
Describe the song with 4 words:
Frustrated, melancolic, bittersweet and a hint of sexy.

What can we expect to see on stage for the performance?
I will bring some really great boys to the stage who will give you a cool show. It will be a lot of beat, lights and a really honest perfomance by me.
Do you already know what you are going to wear for the final? any hint?
I actually don’t know exactly how it will look, but it will be a mix of dark, sexy and edgy. I will have chunky platform shoes, that’s for sure! And trousers/tights, no dress for me please.

This year the orchestra is back in MGP, how do you feel about it?
I think it is amazing. I love orchestral music, and it really adds a touch of luxury to the performance.
Have you heard any of the other songs in the competition? any favorite?
Yes I have. I think there are a lot of great songs in the competition, so it is hard to choose a favourite. But I think ”Human Beings” and ”A Monster Like Me” are great songs. 

What do you like about Eurovision?
It is a huge stage for songwriters to show their music to the world, in contrary to competitions like Idol or The Voice where it is all about performing well known songs.

What do you dislike about Eurovision?
Some times I think there are great songs and artists that do not get as much attention as deserved.
Tell me the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word:
Wind: Always way too cold.
Darkness: I love darkness in art and music. To me it is a way of dealing with emotions.
Flowers: I don’t care
Stage: SuperKICK!!!
Monkey: I am scared of monkeys :)
Watermelon: Sunbathing in the summer on a superhot beach
Fangirling: My own obsession with David Beckham in 2004
Dreams: Winning MGP 2015 and participating in Eurovision in Vienna.
What are your plans for 2015?
I am going to write a lot of music and just enjoy the year.

Is there anything you want to say to close the interview?
Hope to see you all in Vienna!
Photo: NRK
Thanks to Jenny for the interview! Wish her all the best in MGP!


Here are the lyrics of "Next to you":

Guess I told you I was happy but I’m not tonight
You see me shiver while I tell my pretty lies
Know I may have overdone my act now
and I’d be better of if I just back down
Guess I told you I was fine but I’m not tonight

Can’t you see that
I’ve been loosing all my mind, all my mind for you
and I’ve been passing out and hoping I
hoping I will wake up next to you
you
you
All the faces in the bright lights make me sick 
And all the staring in the dark night makes me think
Know I really had it coming, didn’t I
And it’s way too late but I’ve got to try
Cus all the faces in the bright lights make me sick

Can’t you see that
I’ve been loosing all my mind, all my mind for you
and I’ve been passing out and hoping I
hoping I will wake up next to you
you
you

Would you wake me up again
Please wake me up again
Can’t you see that
I’ve been loosing all my mind, all my mind for you
and I’ve been passing out and hoping I
hoping I will wake up next to you
you
you

No comments:

Post a Comment