Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Vilikasper Kanth: "Äänen kantamattomiin" is about joy, friendship and community

Photo: Anton Sucksdorff! (YLE)
Time for the 2nd interview of the day! Here are the answers of VILIKASPER KANTH:
Name: Vilikasper Kanth
Age: 25
Birthday: September 25th
Height: 174
Favorite color: deep colors: wine red , navy blue 
Favourite food: Tortillas
Shoe Size: 10
Eye color: Grey / greenish
Where are you right now? At home getting ready for work
3 things that makes you happy: family, skateboarding and music
What’s your strangest talent? hmmm, I can whistle from my throat :D
Do you have any nicknames? Vilkki, and my family calls me Konko.. don’t ask why :D 
Home alone and you're bored. What do you do? Probably play guitar and sing something or surf online.
What is the strangest thing you have in your room? hmmm I thing that backpack-barbeque is kinda strange 
What are you really good at? I like to think that I am good at skateboarding. (it’s my point of view though)
What are you really bad at? I’m the worst dancer on earth
Childhood idol: Finnish pro skater Arto Saari
Childhood memory: Building two-piece rock band with my friend. Rocking with air guitars and “smoking” stubs from the ground
Tell me something no one knows about you: I don’t have middle name 
What would you do if you were invisible? Man’s point of view would be ... hah!
Craziest thing you've ever done: Got accepted to UMK 2015 !!
Favorite movie: The Intouchables
Favorite TV series: Breaking bad, Orange is the new black, finnish legend Salatut Elämät of course!
Tell me a super power you wish you had: Ability to fly
What's your favorite part of your body? hmm. Ears 
What is your guilty pleasure? Chocolate
Name a song that never fails to make you happy: Gloria Estefan - Conga
When did you start singing and writing? around 2006
Can you teach me some interesting words in finnish?
“Keksijä keksi keksin, keksin keksittyään keksijä keksi keksin keksityksi keksinnöksi”
(”Inventor invented a cookie, when he had invented a cookie inventor invented a cookie to be invented)”
Hello Vilekasper! Welcome to UMK! How are you?
Hello there and thanks! It has been kinda crazy week ! I’ve been waiting for UMK press conference for so long and now that its done, im feeling great! Finally i can be publicly proud of my achievements  and share the stories behind the song etc.

How would you describe yourself as an artist?
I believe that I am really personal performer. The same personality is also reflected in my music.
Photo: Max Lapinsuo-Sylwén
You are one of the participants of UMK 2015. How did it all begin?
Me and my father  had a plan, that we write two songs at my  uncles cottage in mid-summer 2014. We tried and tried but after all the inspiration and visions didn’t catch us up. Couple of days later when inspiration suddenly hit us, we started to write the song. I had my guitar and my father had paper and a pen. Few hours later “Äänen kantamattomiin”  was made. Two months later I heard that they were looking for songs to UMK15 and that’s when I decided apply for the competition with the song “Äänen kantamattomiin”.
"Äänen kantamattomiin" is the title of your song and its written by you, Vesa Lappalainen and Jari Kanth. How was it working with them?
Vesa Lappalainen is a good friend of mine. Vesa and I have been doing music together since the beginning of my artist career in his own little studio in Vantaa. 
My father is verbally talented – he is very good at writing poems and stories but had never wrote music before. One day few years ago we got an idea to start writing music together.
So the collaboration with my father Jari and my friend Vesa has been very natural from the very beginning. I’m very grateful from their support.
Whats the story behind the song?
This song “Äänen kantamattomiin” is about joy, friendship and community. 

Describe the song with 4 words:
Summer, joy, friendship, community
What can we expect to see on stage for the performance?
The song is very simple and down-to-earth so I think we want to keep it that way. At least you can expect to see me with my guitar hah!

Do you already know what you are going to wear for the semifinal?
Yes. Luckily we had same kind of visions about my outfit with the stylists.

Tell me about the official video of "Äänen kantamattomiin":
Video was filmed at my father’s garage in Långvik, Kirkkonummi. We wanted to keep the same themes joy, friendship and community in the video and I hope that those themes is transmitted to the viewers from the video.

Have you heard any of the other songs? any favorite?
I have listened them all through and I think the level of the competition is very high! But if I have to name my favorites I’d say Solju – Hold you colours and Jouni Aslak – Lions and lambs

Did you watch UMK last year? who was your fav?
Yes I did. I liked Softengine very much! And Lauri Mikkola’s song Going down was awesome too.
What do you like about Eurovision?
I think it is a great opportunity for new artists to break through in Europe. It is also very nice to see Europeans gather together for couple of weeks and celebrate the power of music. UMK instead is a great opportunity for finnish artists to spread their music in Finland
Give me the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word:
Guitar: Favorite
Sun: Summer
Fear: Spiders
Dog: Pontus
Beard: Yes
Kindergarden: Job
Nightmare: Awful
Pizza: Meat
Freedom: Important
Dreams: Forgettable
Photo: Max Lapinsuo-Sylwén
What are your plans for 2015?
I hope that my music career will go forward and that I will be able to start doing gigs with my new band. 

Is there anything you want to say to close the interview?
I hope this is just the beginning of my music career. You can follow my moves in INSTAGRAM @vilikasperkanth, TWITTER @vilikasperkanth AND FACEBOOK Vilikasper Kanth! Happy year 2015 to all!
Photo: Tiia Santavirta
Thanks to Vilikasper for the interview! Wish him all the best in his career and UMK!


Here are the lyrics of  "Äänen kantamattomiin"

Ääniä yössä, miehet työssä
tää on meille tärkeää
Yhdessä tässä, mieli lepäämässä
En haluu tätä särkeä

Ja kun me huudetaan se kuuluu..

Äänen kantamattomiin, Äänen kantamattomiin
Äänen kantamattomiin, Äänen kantamattomiin

Naurua täällä, kaikki hyvällä päällä
Tää on meille yhtä juhlaa

Ja kun me huudetaan, se kuuluu..

Äänen kantamattomiin, Äänen kantamattomiin
Äänen kantamattomiin, Äänen kantamattomiin

Panin viestii frendeille tulkaa tänne landelle
Tarvii jeesii puiden kaatoon, remppaa vanhaan latoon
Laituri kaipaa maalausta ja kattokin pitäs korjata

Mulle tuli jo vastausviesti, et paikalle tulee koko jengi
Ne tänne hoitaa kimppakyydin, kaupan kautta tietenkin
Ei ilman ruokaa jaksa kukaan ja kyytipojaksi kaljaa mukaan

Ja kun me huudetaan se kuuluu..

Äänen kantamattomiin, Äänen kantamattomiin
Äänen kantamattomiin, Äänen kantamattomiin

No comments:

Post a Comment