Monday, February 10, 2014

How to bake a cake with Aarzemnieki!

Time for the 1st Dziesmas interview! They participated in the 1st semifinal last week and now they are getting ready to bake some cakes for the final! Here are the answers of JÖRAN from AARZEMNIEKI:

Name: Jöran (Jorans)
Age: 27
Birthday: 10.10.
Zodiac sign: Libra
Height: 179cm
Favorite color: blue
Favourite food: Brussels sprouts
Shoe Size: 41
Eye color: blue
What do you do in the band: songwriting, main vocals, guitar, managing, buying Guntis breakfast
Where are you right now? In Latvia. In Riga, culture capital of Europe 2014.
3 things that makes you happy: Songs I like/being responsible for other people's happiness/reconciliation
What’s your strangest talent? I remember names and faces and dutch party songs
Do you have any nicknames? Latiņš, Jö, Jöri
Home alone and you are bored. What do you do? Playing FIFA – in case my laptop has nothing against it
What is the strangest thing you have in your room? A princess-mirror! The previous tenant left it there.
What are you really good at? Being a walking jukebox. I know a lot of songs by heart.
What are you really bad at? Diving
Childhood idol: Rolf Zuckowski, David Norman, David Odonkor
Childhood memory: Has my childhood already ended?
Tell me something no one knows about you: Psst...my sister has smaller ears than me
What would you do if you were invisible? Take part in every Eurovision perfomance
Craziest thing you've ever done: 1 song. 1 suitcase, 1 guitar, 1 no-return ticket to Latvia. No return.
Favorite movie: Wayne's World, Notting Hill, Hot Fuzz, Muppets Christmas Carol
Favorite TV series: Miami Vice, Sherlock, Curious George
Favorite cake: Cake To Bake ;)
Tell me a super power you wish you had: Invisibility
What's your favorite part of your body? My Ears – high-functional, but very small
Tell me one of your insecurities: financial insecurity
What is your guilty pleasure? Boyband Music from the 90s
Name a song that never fails to make you happy: Love Shine A Light – Katrina & The Waves
Tell me some of your bad habits: I have only really nice and cute rabbits.
If you were a product, how would you sell yourself? Multifunctional, unique, extremely entertaining
Can you teach me some interesting words in latvian? "Blodiņa" (blooedinya) is my favourite word. It means: little bowl. Cep cep kūku – Bake, bake the cake ;)
If you were the journalist what would you ask to Aarzemnieki? and tell me your answer.
Why did you choose such a difficult name to pronounce? Well, it means FOREIGNERS in latvian. That's what I am. Being a foreigner in Latvia is a challenge. Just as the pronouncation of the band's name. :)
How would describe the band?
Authentic and creative. We're still in the process. We're masters of improvisations you could say. Playing concerts in pubs, clubs and town halls of Latvia. Our band consists of a leading voice, a guitar, (fe)male backings, a violin, a piano and drums. Sometimes we add a bass guitar.
Tell me about the name of the band: 
It's the latvian word for „foreigners“. Actually spelled with a long „Ā“, in our case with two “aa“

Lets talk about Dziesmas 2014, how did it all begin?
A half year ago I just wrote a goodbye-song to the old latvian currency, the LAT. It became a smash hit all over the country via youtube. I found some musicians in bars and pubs, which became friends in the meantime. We have no management, we didn't earn any money by the song itself. We love the Eurovision-project and would love to represent Latvia in Europe. We want to tell why it's worth to spend some of your precious life-time in this unique and extremely interesting and inspiring country. We hope Latvians let us!! :) :)

"Cake to bake" is the title of your song (I have to tell you that its my favorite song in the competition) Whats the story behind the song?
There are so many gifted, talented people, even true and probably not-so-true heros all over the world. Asking them (mostly men) for a thing they can't, many consider – they actually don't know how to bake a proper cake. And even if – take it easy. It's ok if there are things you're not able to do. Ask people for help confidently. It's never a sign of weakness. Celebrate your disability and the fact there will always be people around loving to support you.
Describe the song with 4 words:
groovy, lovely, "cake-y", with-a-winking-eye ;)
What can you tell me about the performance? what can we expect to see on stage?
For us it's important to show the purity of the song and the music we play. There'll be some small show elements but we'd love to show you the simple joy we have performing "Cake To Bake"

Have you heard any of the other songs in the competition? any favorite?
I enjoy eurovision songs in general. But to be honest, there is no other song in the Latvian Pre-Selection this year that moves me just like ours.

Did you watch Eurovision 2013?
I skipped last year's contest because I was quite depressed back in May 2013. I really I hope I won't be in May 2014.

What do you like about Eurovision?
The fact, european countries/cultures coming together, celebrating themselves and each other on the background of music is unique and wonderful. I love the extremly positive eurovision crowd – and now and then there are some brilliant melodies, following me for the rest of my live.
What do you dislike about Eurovision?
Existing stereotypes concerning bad music and stuff. People tend to judge often without having a closer look. Of course there are odd outfits and strange vocals etc – but we should let it be what it is: A lovely, colorful and various eurovision cake. Enjoy!
Tell me the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word:
2013: "Paldies Latiņam"
Sea: Food
Latvia: Beauty
Watermelon: Honey
Fish: and Chips
Fans: Borussia Dortmund
Guitar: 6 strings at once
Cakes: Tough stuff
Eurovision: Dream
Bed: Pillow
Fear: Loss
Music: elementary
What are your plans for 2014?
Moving forward step by step, keeping on being faithful towards myself
Is there anything you want to say to close the interview?
I heard of a country called Latvia for the first time by chance, watching ESC 2000. Brainstorm, „My Star“. 3rd place. I loved it, went to a shop in Germany, bought two discs of them. Never knowing 6 years later I was spending a year abroad in Latvia and returning in 2013 for writing a song (Paldies Latiņam) the whole country could sing along. I'd be overwhelmed if you could help me turning this story into a fairytale by entering the ESC 2014. For Latvia. Best wishes from Riga!
Jöran
Thanks to Jöran for the interview! Love the song! Dont forget to vote for them in the final on February 22. GO AARZEMNIEKI!

Here is their Official Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/aarzemnieki

Here are the lyrics of "Cake to bake":
Cake To Bake

I melted the ice of the polar caps,
found the raiders of the lost ark,
solved a case for the genius from Baker Street,
helped to clean the Central Park.

I created the plan for the Chinese wall,
went to desert, made it rain,
swam through a shark tank bloodily,
found Atlantis, by the way.. (but today)

CHORUS
I've got a cake to bake – and got no clue at all (cep, cep, cep, cep, cep kuuku)
I've got a cake to bake – and haven't done that before (cep, cep, cep, cep, cep kuuku)
don't be proud, mate, please, don't bother,
go, come on and ask your mother,
how to bake, how to bake, bake that cake

Cep cep cep cep cep kuuku kuuku cep cep cep cep cep cep kuuku x2

I talked to a unicorn the other night,
took me up on a lonely star,
did the moonwalk on the milky way,
realized I've gone too far.

So I questioned the law of gravity,
put the apple back up to the apple tree,
ej tu nost: I even learned Latvian,
I know it's so hard to believe.. ( and today)

CHORUS
I've got a cake to bake – I’ve got no clue at all
I've got a cake to bake – and haven't done that before
don't be proud, mate, please, don't bother,
go, come on and ask your mother ,
how to bake, how to bake, bake that cake (piece of cake)

Cep cep cep cep cep kuuku kuuku cep cep cep cep cep cep kuuku x2

We've got a cake to bake – and got no clue at all
We've got a cake to bake – and haven't done that before
don't be proud, mate, please, don't bother,
go, come on and ask your mother ,
how to bake, how to bake, bake that cake (piece of cake)

Mix some dough, add some love, let it bake, wait for it
Mix some dough, add some love, let it bake, wait for it
Mix some dough, add some love, let it bake, have some cake
Mix some dough, add some love, let it bake

We've got a cake to bake – and got no clue at all
We've got a cake to bake – and haven't done that before
don't be proud, mate, please, don't bother,
go, come on and ask your mother,
how to bake, how to bake, bake that cake
Garšīgi..

No comments:

Post a Comment